Location: San Francisco
Reports To: Managing Director, Accounting & Operations
FLSA Classification: Exempt; Full Time
Hybrid: In office 3x per week and as needed
We are seeking a Controller to join our growing team. The Controller manages the day-to-day accounting function for IMPACT, its wholly-owned Registered Investment Adviser entity and its clients. The Controller is responsible for producing financial statements, quarterly reviewed financial statements, annual financial audit preparation, annual tax returns and serves as primary liaison with auditors and tax accountants for existing and new investment funds; developing, implementing and monitoring overall accounting and internal control guidelines, policies and procedures; preparing financial reports; cost allocation; preparing internal financial management reports; financial modeling and budgeting. The Controller assists the President, Managing Director, Accounting & Operations and other executives with special projects as assigned.
- Strong cultural fit with the IMPACT team: personable, collaborative, authentic, team player, entrepreneurial and driven to achieve outstanding results
- Passionate about making a difference in the world. Several of these areas excite you—impact investing, technology, entrepreneurship, social innovation, impact measurement, systems thinking, and social justice
- Thrive in entrepreneurial, dynamic environments. You’re self-motivated, and comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly under tight deadlines
- Ability to prioritize, be organized, communicate effectively, work with attention to detail, and follow through
- Strong writing, oral and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to express ideas with clarity and conciseness
- Highest level of integrity and ethics
Knowledge, Skill, Experience
- Past Experience & Professional Qualifications: You have 6-8 years of work experience in a comparable position at an investment advisory or financial services firm, prefer a candidate that has experience with fund and investment management. You hold a current CPA license in California and have advanced knowledge of GAAP accounting.
- Proficiency with accounting software (QuickBooks preferred)
- Management experience: demonstrated ability to lead, inspire, and motivate individuals and teams to achieve ambitious outcomes, coaching staff while also holding staff accountable for meeting goals.
- Passion for the Sector: You are passionate about making a difference in the world. Several of these areas excite you—impact investing, technology, entrepreneurship, social innovation, impact measurement, systems thinking, and social justice.
- Entrepreneurial: You thrive in entrepreneurial, dynamic environments. You’re self-motivated, able to work autonomously and comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly under tight deadlines. You love learning new things.
- Professional: You can prioritize, be organized, communicate effectively, work with attention to detail, and follow through.
- Dynamic Communicator: You have strong writing, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and can express ideas with clarity and conciseness.
- Fluent in MS Office: You are proficient with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package including 401k contribution (up to 4% of salary), fully paid health insurance, sick leave, vacation leave and paid holidays
- Oversee the day-to-day general accounting operation required to maintain general ledger and associated subsidiary ledgers and books of original entry for all companies. This includes accounts payable, notes payable, loans receivable, other receivables, cash receipts, fixed assets, etc.
- Review monthly bank account reconciliations
- Review all other account reconciliations monthly or quarterly, as appropriate
- Oversee month end close and entire process to produce quarterly financial statements
- Produce forecasts throughout the year
- Analysis of program budget-to-actual results including review of special project budget-to-actual reports for compliance with budgets and/or other financial covenants
- Manage quarterly review and annual financial audits of all related entities; prepare and/or review all audit schedules; act as liaison with auditors; draft quarterly and annual financial statements and notes to financial statements; act as liaison with auditors
- Manage the tax reporting process and prepares and/or review all tax schedules; act as liaison with tax accountants
- Maintain current documentation on all accounting policies and procedures
- Maintain a proper segregation of duties and internal control structure
- Monitor and ensure compliance with internal control guidelines and procedures
- Recommend additions or changes to existing guidelines and procedures
- Maintain current documentation of all internal fiscal control policies and procedures
- Train accounting staff and other staff, where appropriate, on internal control guidelines and procedures
- Review and post Journal Entries in QuickBooks
- Responsible for managing preparation of monthly internal management reports and provide financial information as requested
- Prepare all special financial reports required by agreements or as requested
- Oversee preparation of or assist in gathering required data for certain Board and Committee reports
- Manage reporting process for subsidiaries and related entities
- Review and approve all financial reports prepared by Finance team.
- Manage quarterly investor reporting
- Ensure completion of all reporting to state agencies as required
- Prepare quarterly forecast of actual results for the year
- Prepare cash flow statements quarterly or as needed
- Prepare meeting materials and participate in presentations
- Prepare budgets and related reports
- Monitor adherence to budgets
Banking and Cash flow
- Maintain appropriate bank accounts for operations and maintain documentation for same
- Assist in monthly cash flow or other analysis reports
- Review all bank reconciliations prepared by accounting and finance team
- Maintain adequate cash for investment programs and other cash needs, transferring excess cash into Money Market investment accounts monthly or as necessary
IMPACT believes that the diversity of its workforce is vital to its long-term success. Its employees learn from one another and benefit from working with team that has varying backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. IMPACT is an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work.
Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other applicable law.